Thursday, December 30, 2010

My diagnosis and finding my way................................... slowly

So it's been a couple weeks since my last update. I hope you all had a great Christmas and are gearing up for your New Years celebrations. Whatever you do, please be safe and use common sense. People can get crazy on New Years Eve, don't let them find you and drag you into their craziness. Have fun but be safe about it!

We are going to be in Estes Park for New Years. Our friends, who are also our neighbors, invited us to spend the weekend with them there. They have been there all week. They also invited two other families so it will be 11 of us in a house on the mountain - could be fun, could be crazy - could be CRAZY FUN! Either way, we are looking forward to getting away for a few days to relax and enjoy friends company. All the kids are friends and all the adults are friends so it should be a really nice little getaway. We are expecting snow today so I am hoping it doesn't interfere with our travel plans. The location is only about 2hrs away so it should be ok getting there. We might have to take the truck if the snow is too bad.

I've been doing pretty good with my Physical Therapy. Today is my last day that I go in and then I will continue to do the stretches and exercises they have shown me that will help me with my stiffness and overall pain in various areas. Mainly I have pain in my right shoulder area and down the right side of my back. My left side is ok for the most part but still a bit stiff. It seems that the things they have had me doing work so I just need to keep it up at home. I still wake up everyday with numb fingers which is extremely annoying. It has been taking about an hour for that to go away then I'm fine the rest of the day. There is a good knot in my back on the right side that we believe is the contributor to the numbness in the morning - at physical therapy we tested my right hand for carpel tunnel and determined I do not have that since the numbness encompasses more fingers than carpel tunnel does.

Headaches have been few over the past couple weeks which has been nice - I would say I have had about 3, one of which I went to bed with and the others were mild. So at least that is getting better!

Over Christmas we got a Wii along with Wii fit. I plan on using this to assist with daily exercises as I get going. My mom and I are also going to walk 1 mile on days that are not too cold and possibly start "the biggest loser" on the Wii. That sounds fun and will be a good motivator for both of us. I need to lose 20lbs and wouldn't mind losing 30 - but 20 for sure.

I received a juice machine for Christmas too. This is going to be a great help to my weight loss and increasing my vegetable and fruit intake. I've already been using it and creating all kinds of fun concoctions that are pretty tasty. The kids are even trying new things and enjoying it as is Glenn. I figure if I can get any extra goodness into them along the way I will! I would really like to find the right combination of foods, juices and vitamins that will help me feel better consistently along with giving me more energy. Eventually I would LOVE to get off the medications I've been on although I'm not sure that's going to happen considering that one of them is also used to treat Fibromyalgia - in fact, the Dr thinks one reason I haven't had too much trouble over the years up until recently is because of this particular medication I've been taking. So we'll see - if I can get the right things in my body to take the place of the meds then that will be great!

So along with my updates I will be posting juice recipes as well. Feel free to try them if you want and let me know what you think. If you have any fun, yummy recipes you want to share, feel free to do that as well!

Tonight I go in for my sleep study. Part of treating my fibromyalgia is also getting my chronic fatigue under control and seeing how bad my sleep apnea is - I might have to start sleeping with the machine used to treat the apnea depending on what the results of tonight's sleep study come back as. The one thing I'm not looking forward to is the cost of the machine. Hopefully it's less than I am thinking it will be. Wish me luck! I go in tonight at 9pm and they said I will be out of there by 6am - that means getting up EARLY, way earlier than I ever do......(do you feel sorry for me yet?)

I hope you have a GREAT New Years Eve! It has started snowing since I started this update so I guess we are in for a snowy cold day as the forecast suggested. I hate it when they are right!

I will leave you with a good juice recipe we made this morning:

1/2 a small pineapple
1 pint strawberries
10 blackberries
1/2 a lime
1/2 an orange
1 celery rib with greens at top if still there

Push through juicer and enjoy!

Until next time ... Happy New Year - see you in 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment