Thursday, December 2, 2010

Dr appointment update

So after my last posting on the 22nd a few things have taken place...

Nov 23rd I went to see my Dr as I was having terrible pain in my thigh on the left leg. This pain had been going on for several days so I was getting concerned that there was a possible blood clot. After checking me out, he sent me directly down to the ER to get an ultrasound of my leg to check for a blood clot. Thankfully that was all negative and I left there with the diagnosis of an Upper Respiratory Infection - according to the Dr viruses can cause pain in all kinds of ways.....but having ruled out anything serious they didn't seem too concerned with the intense pain I was having to endure - sent me home with some pain meds and suggested I just rest - rest, that's all I've been doing.

The pain in my leg slowly started getting less and less and is now pretty much gone, it's still there upon touching but not nearly as painful to the touch as it was and feels to be getting better daily. Whatever it is.....just another mystery.

On Tuesday Nov 30th I met with my primary care Dr again for the visit I've been waiting for. With my list of symptoms in hand and research notes as well as suggestions on what I think could be going on with me. As I was telling him about my findings and how I was feeling about it I felt that he thought I was crazy. It IS crazy really, but honestly I just need to get an answer, and this is what I told him. I told him that it won't hurt anything to just check and investigate. He did take some blood to check for Lyme Disease and a few other labs. He said once those come back he will most likely refer me to an Infectious disease Dr to dig deeper into whatever the blood work shows or doesn't show. So this appointment is "laying the groundwork" for what is to come. I told him that I don't think I'm "depressed" for any other reason than I've been sick for so long that in itself is depressing! But to take me off the meds for that is another story and not a bridge I want to cross just yet - the withdrawls are terrible and something I just don't want to deal with right now, so we'll leave well enough alone in regards to that.

I fear so badly that everything will come back negative and apparently "normal". I know that sounds weird because normally we would want all our tests to be negative right? But in light of all the suffering I've done medically, I just want to know what and why - so a positive test result would give me those answers as well as lead me down the path to treatment and feeling better. With any negative test result comes a brick wall in my world. So I fear those negatives at this point. I know, weird but hopefully it makes sense - in a weird way. I'm praying that we find something rather than nothing - I don't think I can take another "it's just how you are" comment.

The following day on Wednesday Dec. 1st I went to see my OB/GYN for an exam as I realized I had not had that type of exam since 2004 - opps. At that appointment while doing my internal exam she said my uterus is "enlarged" and asked me about any history of fibroids (this is a new Dr for me as my previous OB is no longer at this particular practice). I have never been diagnosed with fibroids so I will be going in on Dec 8th for an ultrasound to see if I do in fact have fibroids and to determine what the next step is. If it's not fibroids, we'll need to figure out what is making my uterus enlarged. During this exam she also was able to remove my IUD which was, to say the least, not real pleasant - we are holding off putting another one in until we know what the ultrasound shows us. The IUD has been a lifesaver for me in regards to my female issues (Pain and severe discomfort every month) as it completely eliminates that dreaded monthly visitor. But, until we know what's going on it'll have to wait.

I asked what is done about fibroids and she said usually nothing but it just depends on where they are growing, how big they are and how many there are - obviously if they are intrusive then they will need to be removed, if they are not then they can stay. So more to come on that next week.

Currently, as a result of my OB appt, I'm in some pain in the abdomen. Cramping and just blah. Hopefully that will get better real soon. In the meantime, Percocet is my friend.

I think I had neglected to mention in my other posts that I also have Thyroid nodules - both my thyroids are consumed with benign nodules that are monitored every 6mo or so - just wanted to add that to the list of things as I'm sure eventually that will come into play again as I go to see the endocrinologist for that exam in a few short months.

Oh the joy and roller coaster ride! Thanks for walking beside me on this journey as I go through the process to find out what is going on with me and hopefully in the end come out a much healthier person with answers on what has been causing me so much illness over the years.

Until next time....be safe and stay healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment