Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The mountain seems so big

We're back from Ohio and trying to stay sane - this month is zooming past so quickly. I just went out yesterday and did some Christmas shopping - sheesh - time is closing in! Sorry it's been so long since my last update, between being out of town for my uncle's funeral and other things it's been crazy. But I do have quite an update for you so keep on reading!

While we were in Ohio I kept playing phone tag with the Dr office - they were calling to give me results of the blood tests - finally on Thursday last week I was able to get in touch with them and just as I had thought, all my blood tests came back negative......not really a surprise but it still feels like that news has made the mountain I need to climb that much bigger and steeper. I feel like I just don't have the energy.

I have also have been back to see my OB - I went Friday after I returned from Ohio (the 10th) - we did the ultrasound and sure enough I do have a fibroid about the size of a tennis ball that is right at the top of my uterus causing it to be enlarged. She doesn't seem too worried about it.....but it's definitely something we'll keep watching and deal with if and when we need to. She did say it's pulling my uterus down so if it gets bigger there is a possibility I will need to have a hysterectomy in order to remove it. At this point we both felt that leaving it and just keeping our eye on it for now was the best thing to do.

My primary Dr did say he will refer me to a Rheumatologist OR Infectious Disease Dr for further testing. I did contact an Infectious Disease Dr last week and after talking to them I felt even more lost - the scheduler told me that once my Dr sends over the referral and my test results the Dr there would read everything and determine if they need to see me and why - that right there made me feel even more lost as with negative test results they are going to wonder why I feel I need to be seen by them - I just felt like they were going to decline the request. Being your own advocate sure does take a lot of energy and confidence!

After thinking about it over the weekend I decided to go with a Rheumatologist to start since I don't have any positive blood work for any infectious diseases and we might just have to start with looking at other things - I do think I have issues with my immune system so I'm thinking that might be the best place to start this whole thing.

Initially I know I had told several of you that I was convinced I have Lyme's Disease - now I'm not so certain...I definitely still feel there is something really wrong with me but I don't know what - all I can do is share my symptoms and hope that I will get with a Dr who can help me.......there are so many things that I COULD have and that match my symptoms it's all beginning to become very confusing in my head.

This past week my headaches have started to return. It's been coming slowly and I've been noticing that I'm waking up with a headache in the morning. Then midway through the day I'll have another and at night before bed. Up until today the headaches haven't been too bad, or specific like they have been before - however tonight I have the sharp pain in the front of my head again which is the same pain I had when I had the month long headache back in Sept/Oct - the one I described as a pin going in my head from the top and it's in one spot just over my right eye - it hurts.

I've also developed a new symptom of what I'm calling arthritis in my hand - more specifically my fingers on my right hand - my index finger and middle finger are so sore, achy and painful...out of the blue. This started on Sunday Dec 12.

Today I contacted the Rheumatologist and it just so happened they had an opening at 1:30 so I grabbed it. I went in and after a long exam and talking with the Dr he said I definitely have Fibromyalgia. Out of the 18 trigger points, I have all 18! I'm not sure how I feel about this new diagnosis just yet. I'm glad we are making progress but just a bit overwhelmed. He also has me going to get a sleep study done to see if I have sleep apnea (previously diagnosed) and if so to get me back on an apnea machine. He explained that without restful sleep I will never get better. He also is sending me to see a physical therapist to get me started on an exercise routine slowly. He explained that depending on how long I have had this that I will initially feel worse when I start to exercise and that a physical therapist who is familiar with the disease can help me gain momentum with exercise, starting me off slowly and building me up to a good routine but slowly so I don't overdo it.

He has prescribed me some pain meds that off the top of my head I don't recall the name, a step above tylenol but non addicting. He will see me again in a month to see how I am doing.

I am hopeful that all of this will lead me to feeling much better over time however it feels like it's going to be a slow process.

I have to go read about Fibromyalgia as I really don't know much about it and from what I do know, neither do the medical professionals! Figures!

3 comments:

  1. Gerri, I know you are probably going nuts with trying to figure out what is going on. I did see you mentioned headaches. Have you ever tried Feverfew? It's a plant and you can get it in capsule form. I have a client who gets headaches really bad and I recommended this to her (along with Niacin and Vitamin C Crystals) and it's done WONDERS for her!!! Feverfew is excellent for headaches, migraines, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I haven't James, although I have read that headaches are a common symptom for what I have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gerri: I have a friend with Fibromyalgia and from what she says, it's quite painful. I will ask her what she does to feel better. I know (I don't think you'll like this) that she lived in New York and moved to Arizona because the moist climate would set it off with pain all over her body. But hey, we would LOVE to have you here! ;)

    Hang in there and let me see if I can get some info from her on what she does to feel better.

    ReplyDelete