Saturday, July 2, 2011

Why can't "trained professionals" seem to do it right?

I had two different appointments this week and at both they needed to draw blood. My experience with this has never been the best. I always wonder what is so hard about putting a needle in a vein and taking the needed blood. These people are "trained" to do this and yet it seems most don't really do a very good job at it. It almost makes me want to get trained as a phlebotomist so there is at least another person out there who does know how to do it well - because I would for sure make sure I was one of the best after some of the trauma I've dealt with in regards to having needles stuck in me!

Yesterday (7/1) I had an appointment with my primary Dr as the Mayo clinic requested he do a full physical and asked for several lab tests to be done - he told me all that was being done but I don't recall the specific names - checking my Vitamin D level, CBC and several other technical test names - the nurse had to get 9 vials from me which brings me to my vent......she stuck me in the left arm and literally nothing came out when she put the vial thing on the needle - nothing......I've never had this happen before and asked her if she got the vein, which she was certain she had......she tried to get something to come out before she pulled the needle and went for my other arm.........on the right side she decided it would be good to stick me in the same spot that I had blood drawn on Wed ....which was already bruised and tender......so that hurt but the blood was flowing this time so I just let her go so I could be done with it.

After 1.5hr with the Dr and answering tons of questions, being poked, prodded and checked out I left, arms wrapped in purple tape, prescriptions in hand and ready to wait for the Mayo clinic to contact me - My dr said it would probably be about 3-4 wks before I hear anything since they will need to wait for the lab results and review my files to determine if they will take me - My Dr seems to think they will, I hope he is right. In the meantime I'll be starting treatments in a couple weeks with the Fibromyalgia Center and looking forward to getting myself back to feeling good and living my life like I should be.

I'm exhausted both physically and emotionally from all of this. I really can't wait to feel better and be past it all...hoping that I never have to endure it again to this extent - although being chronically ill there are what is known as "flare ups" from time to time and all based on environment and conditions that sometimes can't be controlled such as the weather.

Today I took my daughter to the mall - we were there for a little over an hour between getting her feathers put back in her hair and something from the lego store for my son, I'm wiped out....just that trip took all I had.....and I still have to go to my friends this evening as she is getting married in a couple weeks and tonight is her night with her bridal party (I'm the matron of honor)......so as I muster up enough energy/strength to get ready for this evening I am glad we aren't going out dancing or something like that, I don't think I could do it. We are going to the movies so at least I don't have to deal with anything that takes to much physical energy to do. I know tomorrow will be a day of not doing much for me after being out late tonight. Just "being out" is very draining to me right now. Possibly had I not taken the trip to the mall today with the kids I would have a little more energy for this evening - it is what it is I guess and onward I go..........I must admit though I'm already looking forward to getting home and going to bed!

Until next time...stay well and enjoy your health - enjoy feeling well, having energy and being able to do what you want, when you want! You never know when it could suddenly be taken away from you! Trust me on that!

1 comment:

  1. Gerri, I so get it. My sister and I are going through a similar thing, only with us, it's pain. We are in constant chronic pain. No matter what. And no one has diagnosed us with fibromyalgia - I got close when my primary care doctor said, "It could be a fibromyalgia type thing..." Good luck to you! I'm a new follower...

    ReplyDelete