Monday, January 24, 2011

Holy pharmacy!

So I finally cleaned out the "medicine cabinet" in the kitchen. I didn't realize just how many things we have accumulated (and kept) over the years! I'm embarrassed to admit it but, there were prescriptions and over the counter items that expired as far back as 1998 - OMG! Glenn made the comment that when it comes to medicines it's hard to get rid of them because they cost so much - I guess so!

Although that is somewhat embarrassing, I'm happy to say out of 3 very full grocery bags of medications I was able to eliminate 2 of those bags and it's now down to a very manageable amount of things that we'll keep on hand such as cold medicines, allergy medicines, indigestion/gas/constipation and our daily supplements. I threw away all expired items as well as any meds that I'm no longer taking, no matter how many were left. As you'll see in the following picture, the cabinet we typically keep our "meds" in was a bit out of control and had overflown to the counter top:




















Here I am with the pile getting ready to sort through....................




















Now, I'm happy to say that the lowest level is just our daily supplements and medications and on the higher levels those other items we use as we need for colds, allergies or GI issues. It didn't take too long to sort through the massive pile as a lot of the items were expired and/or no longer being used:





















The counter is cleared of any overflow and it feels nice to open the cabinet and not have anything fall out onto the counter or teetering on the edge of falling. It also feels nice to have some "control" over that cabinet again as well as cross another item off my "to do" list for the month of January.

Next big clean out project - THE PANTRY..........it's out of control too and other than the kids lunch snacks I have no idea what is really in there!!


No comments:

Post a Comment