Saturday, January 8, 2011

Change is not easy, not easy at all....

When someone tells you that you have a lifelong disorder that will require you to change everything you have always done, you would think it would be a no-brainer that you just do what you have to do to move forward and make sure you do the things you need to do to get on the road to feeling better and staying that way.....welll.....

Damn! It's not that easy! I've had many days of frustration this week with trying to 'change my ways'. I'm frustrated that I just can't 'do it' and that it's harder than I thought it would be. Everything from when I go to sleep to when I wake up, what I do when I wake up and throughout the day - changing all my routines, or lack of, is taking longer than I thought it would and it's really frustrating. Slowly but surely I know I'll get there and all will be good but getting there is proving to be a rough road. I'm tough, I can do it.......I CAN do it. I HAVE TO DO IT!

I'm realizing as I learn more about my disorder that I have to change everything in my diet......as you may or may not know, I've been juicing since getting a juicer on Christmas - that has been going great and I think helping me a lot in regards to changing my food choices. I've done well this week I think and just need to continue eating more lean meats, veggies, fruits and non processed foods. Bread is my downfall, as are many other things so slowly eliminating these things from my diet is my plan - although as I am writing this I feel the need to mention I did have pizza tonight, stuffed crust at that! UGH.......I guess that's a "slip up" I can afford every now and then until I get to the point of just saying NO - it's like quitting smoking - just have to give it up! It's so hard especially when I have two kids and a husband who have no interest in changing their eating habits - hopefully as we get further along in this they will slowly adapt with me......that's all I can hope for as I chug along.

On a good note I've lost 5lbs since the first of the year - I would like to lose a total of 25lbs so just 20 more to go - I've been exercising and eating better so the weight shouldn't be too difficult to get off - especially as I continue to cut out specific things that I shouldn't be having because of the fibromyalgia. I bought a new book that focuses on juicing for health and I've learned that ideally I need to eliminate sugar and white flour products, avoid alcohol and caffeine
increase vegetable and protein servings and choose only whole grain products, detox my body especially the liver, gallbladder and colon, juice plenty of vegetables, have short juice fasts, and make up to 75% of my diet raw food which means plenty raw fruits, vegetables, green salads, carrot and other vegetable juices in the amount of 2-3 glasses a day, nuts, seeds, and dehydrated foods with some cooked food at dinner should, over a 2-3 month period improve my pain, stiffness and quality of sleep.

So with what I just put above, I think I'm on the right path. The hard part for me will be eliminating my morning caffeine and some of my favorite foods that I've always allowed myself to indulge in - although with the help of specific vitamins to replace the energy I get from the caffeine and feeling better I think I can do it. We have already made the switch from regular coffee to 1/2 caff - to give our bodies a chance to adjust to less caffeine - I told my husband I don't want to just cut it off as I don't want the headaches that come along with that.....I've had enough headaches over the past several months to last me a lifetime. So we'll give it a couple weeks then see if we or at least I can cut out the coffee all together - one of my favorite morning things - I hate to give it up! Sorry Starbucks, I'll no longer be able to come in the afternoon for my mid-day pick me up! (wiping the tears away)

It's a slow go but I'm going to beat this disorder and get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment