Sunday, June 19, 2011

From one thing right into another.........never fails

Friday (17th) I woke up not feeling well - as the day progressed I continued to go downhill with nausea, cold sweats, chills - something was obviously going on. So after contemplating most of the day on trying to push through I finally came to the point that I just called my Primary Care Dr - they were able to get me in at 2:45........I figured it was better to get seen on Friday than to let whatever was going on fester through the weekend...turns out it was a good choice.

I had a good visit with him......he told me the sleep test I had done came back NEGATIVE - so that's good news...and bad news...the good news being I don't have sleep apnea, the bad news being we are no closer to figuring out how to make me better. We (me and the numerous Dr's I see) were hoping the sleep test would give us some insight as to why I'm always so tired and drained.......we thought for sure it would be sleep apnea and once I got on an apnea machine I would find that I felt SO MUCH better......well this isn't the case after all.

He examined me and determined I am now dealing with a sinus infection, a little dehydration and maybe another "unspecified" viral infection - he prescribed a 5 day course of antibiotics, anti nausea meds and rest........with plenty of fluids.....

While at his office I also asked him to call The Mayo Clinic referral line, to which he had no problem with doing for me. He said he would do that on Monday.....

We also discussed my previous blood work he had done for me in December 2010 and it turns our we did do a significant amount of blood work (which I knew, I just wasn't sure of the specific tests done) including the ANA profile, Lyme Profile, arthritis and many other blood tests to rule things out - of course, as always all the tests were negative EXCEPT one, my Epstein Barr Virus levels were high at that time...to which he said they always have been every time he has tested for it...........I've known this for a long time as I was 16 when I had a bad case of Mononucleosis.......which leads me of course to wonder if we should be exploring this a little further.....why of course we should!

Epstein Barr is another one of those "viruses" that has no cure, it is linked to "mono", has no treatment protocol and is something with many various symptoms and is linked to other underlying illnesses as well. So it really doesn't get me any closer to an answer as it's just a vague as "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" and "fibromyalgia"...I told the Dr that in addition to these things, I swear there is something more primary running through me and I'm hell bent to find out what it is........aside from the untreatable viruses I've been diagnosed with - I just know it......if it turns out that this is what I'm stuck dealing with I just don't know what I'll do - I can't go on feeling like this day in and day out. There has got to be an "ANSWER" out there, an explanation as to why I'm always sick or feeling sickly and not feeling rested after a long night of sleep.

Like many others who are struck with a sudden illness that changes their entire life there are a lot of feelings that go with it. Aside from the fact that it feels like you'll never get back the life you once had, there are so many unanswered questions and dead ends it just seems hopeless at times. I know I'm on the right path to the Mayo Clinic and really hope they will be able to help.

I've done my share of research for sure and have come up with a lot of potential things that could be going on....several have been preliminarily tested and some have not - I'm going to be sure to take a list of everything as well as my own notes to the Mayo Clinic when I go so nothing is overlooked. Of course I have no idea when that will be...hopefully sooner rather than later.

That's it for today's update - just wanted to keep up on what's going on and where I"m at...today is day 3 of my 5 day antibiotics so hopefully tomorrow I'll be doing much better - today I was having some chest tightness but am feeling a lot better now in regards to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment