Thursday, June 30, 2011

Cautiously hopeful.....

My appointment at the Colorado Fibromyalgia Center went really well. I was pleased that the intake Dr spent about 2 hrs with me and was very informative.

The program is treatment based vs diagnosis based so they really focus on treating each person and their symptoms in an effort to eliminate the symptoms so the patient feels better. The treatment program lasts about 4-6 months and optimally they want me to come in 1x a week for treatment. Due to the fact that I'm traveling an hour each way to get there they are willing to work with me and if it is feasible to give me 2 treatments in one appointment they will. Sometimes though, depending on the treatment needed, they wouldn't be able to do that. An hour drive isn't really so bad though.

So I'm going to go forward with the treatment at this center and am, as the title of this entry states, Cautiously hopeful - I don't want to get too excited just in case.....however I do really feel that their treatment approaches are really going to make some significant improvements in my overall health.

The center does take more of a holistic and natural approach to healing - while they do also offer some western medicine treatments when indicated necessary, they do try to use more alternative and holistic approaches.

I am still also pursuing an appointment with the Mayo Clinic while I am getting treatment at this center. I figure I might as well start getting help while I'm working on the Mayo Clinic and between the two I should be able to figure out what exactly I'm looking at as far as the future of my own health is concerned.

Yesterday I was feeling kind of guilty for pursuing both avenues however a friend of mine sent me a video that really reminded me that it's ok to seek help and answers for my own health until I'm satisfied with the results - it's a great video that I recommend you take a moment to watch...........e-patient Dave - I'm certain that most of my readers will agree with the message that is delivered in the video.

While I was at my appointment I also had some blood drawn for a blood test called "micronutrient testing" through a laboratory called "spectracell" - I've included the link for you in case this is something that anyone else might want to look into - I'm really excited to see the results of this test as I really think it's going to lead me and the medical team I'm working with in the right direction to helping my body get back to optimal functioning status.........check out the link to Spectracell laboratories and the information for the Micronutrient blood test. It's pretty interesting stuff!

This week in addition to the unrelenting fatigue, I've been dealing with consistent headaches which have me really feeling crappy but motrin seems to help me get past the pain and get through the day. I've been waking up with the headaches everyday but they haven't been to the point of "migraine" status so I have been ok with just a nice dose of mortrin a couple times a day. I'm not certain as to why the headaches have returned but figure it's just part of everything else, could be heat related, medication related - who knows why any of this happens at this point.....

I am looking forward to getting started on my treatments with the Fibromyalgia Center. As of now I have a phone appointment on July 8th with the Dr to go over her findings from my medical records and yesterday's visit and the proposed treatment plan. Then on the 11th I'll go in for my first appointment with the massage therapist and the Dr who does nutrient injections.

Part of my treatment will be massage therapy which will help "desensitize" my muscles and tissues - I had told the Dr yesterday that I don't enjoy massages as it causes pain for several days following so she feels that working on desensitizing my muscles and tissues will be an important part of my treatment - this will also serve to help release tension areas that is causing other problems in my body. As the belief in this type of treatment plan is that when one part of the body is under stress or not optimal it will effect other parts of the body that and so on as everything is connected to work together. I wish it was enjoyable for me to get a massage - maybe someday it will be.

Until next time, my journey continues as I move closer to my goal of getting back to how I was prior to the onset of this craziness or even better than that! I'm really looking forward to the beginning of something great that could end up proving to heal me even beyond my expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment